You are going to love this episode. Get to grips with what the Vagus nerve is and how important it is to keep toned up! And find out ways to improve your nervous system to feel great and have energy and a healthy life.
“The vagus nerve starts in the brainstem, just behind the ears. It travels down each side of the neck, across the chest and down through the abdomen. ‘Vagus’ is Latin for ‘wandering’ and indeed this bundle of nerve fibres roves through the body, networking the brain with the stomach and digestive tract, the lungs, heart, spleen, intestines, liver and kidneys, not to mention a range of other nerves that are involved in speech, eye contact, facial expressions and even your ability to tune in to other people’s voices.
It is made of thousands and thousands of fibres and 80 per cent of them are sensory, meaning that the vagus nerve reports back to your brain what is going on in your organs.
Operating far below the level of our conscious minds, the vagus nerve is vital for keeping our bodies healthy. It is an essential part of the parasympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for calming organs after the stressed ‘fight-or-flight’ adrenaline response to danger. Not all vagus nerves are the same, however: some people have stronger vagus activity, which means their bodies can relax faster after stress.”
Research shows that a high vagal tone makes your body better at regulating blood glucose levels, reducing the likelihood of diabetes, stroke and cardiovascular disease. Low vagal tone, however, has been associated with chronic inflammation”
How to improve Vagal tone:
- Cold shower with your head under (or stick your head in a bucket full of ice)
- Jaw realignment: (the trigeminal nerve connects directly to the vagal nerve)
- Electricity: Doctors are learning to hack your nervous system using electricity. An incredible neurosurgeon from New York, Dr Kevin Tracey is actively hacking chronic inflammation, toxic shock, and a bunch of other nervous system issues. He and his team are doing all of it using electric currents.
- Have fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21j_OCNLuYg&t=791s
- Brain heart coherence (heart math) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKmKKCdnJ4U
- 557 or 4462 breathing pattern
Check out Liz’s new website! It’s awesome https://www.lmfit.uk