Part 1 of 6 – Feasting and Fasting
This is the first of 6 topics that we will cover in the “6 Week get healthy series” where Dr Ian Tennant will talk us through the research and advice that can be found in his new book Restoring Balance which is available on Amazon.
In this episode
- Principle 1 – Timing of eating. Cyclical fasting and feasting. Include the benefits of fasting.
- Principle 2 – Ask yourself, are meals and food the same thing? Sandwich, pizza and cake may seem like very different mealtime experiences – but these and most of the other products in supermarkets are made of the same cheap and unhealthy sources of wheat, dairy, vegetable oil and refined sugar. When we start looking beyond brands, labels and even traditions to the quality of raw ingredients/wholefoods…making healthy choices can become so much easier.
- Principle 3 – How you prepare your food matters – we want to avoid cremating foods unnecessarily. But also, we should be aware that ‘natural’ or raw doesn’t always mean healthy.
- Principle 4 – Avoiding diet dogmas – understand the limits or ‘other side of the argument’ behind one size fits all diet labels.
- Principle 5 – Asking what you want to achieve from the food you eat. (weight loss, treating illness, improve performance)
- Principle 6 – Enjoy your food (avoid anxiety) – none of us is perfect. We can’t change overnight. We all want to socialise and eat with people who’s diet choices may differ from ours. How best can we navigate these pushes and pulls?
Please leave me some comments!